What can I do if I was not given a promised raise?

I am employed at a retail store as a supervisor. I’ve had this position for about 3 months now and I’ve yet to be spoken to about my raise by my manager or the executive who gave me this position. Is this legal? What point of action can I take?

Asked on October 22, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing you can do, unfortunately, unless the raise was guaranteed to you in a written contract. Otherwise, whether to give someone a raise, when, and how much is under the employer's complete discretion: they only have to give a raise when and if they want to, and there is no way to comple them to give you a raise--again, unless you had a written contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.