If I’m divorced with a shared parenting and my son lives with me but the house is still in both of our names, can I have my fiancé move in?

We have to sell it when my son turns 18 and split it in 1/2.

Asked on July 17, 2015 under Family Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are divorced and you were awarded the use of the house, then you can authorize anyone else to move in with you.  The only exceptions are:  (1) it can't be someone who would or is a danger to your child and/or (2) it can't be a violation of your parenting order.  If your final order prohibited any overnight guests of the opposite sex to whom you are not married, then you would need to wait until ya'll were married before he moved in-- so as to avoid any issues associated with the rules imposed by the order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.