What to do if my ex-wife just recently moved in with her boyfriend and is now “cohabitating”

I am divorced, my ex-wife just recently moved in with her boyfriend and is now “cohabitating”. In the divorce decree it states that alimony will be paid until she co-habitates wiht someone of the opposite sex. I will continue to pay alimony to cover myself but what do I have to do to stop paying her alimony legally? Is there a form that she can sign to prove that she is cohabitating, if there is and she signs it, what do I do next? What needs to happen to legally so in a year or so she doesn’t try to get back pay?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You would need to got o ourt to request that the alimony be terminated based upon her co habitation.  Bring your proof, what ever you can gather here.  She could indeed agree but I would not do that with out the help of an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.