What to do if I’m divorced and trying to refinance my home but my ex-husband is refusing to get my name off of his truck loan even though it was ordered by the court?

My credit union won’t let me refinance with the truck on my credit.

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If he was ordered to get your name off of his truck loan, then you would need to go back to the court that finalized your divorce and file a motion to enforce that provision.  Before you file the enforcement action, you may want to consider having your family law attorney send a demand letter first with a note that he could be liable for attorneys fees associated with the enforcement.  Sometimes, just the threat of more attorneys fees will be sufficient motivation for him to resolve the loan.  If this doesn't work, then you will have to go forward with the enforcement action to get relief.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.