What is a parent’s responsibility for a deceased adult child?

I am divorced and have been for 14 years .I have no relationship with either my ex or daughters. Every aspect of their lives have been kept from me. My second oldest daughter is now 26 and is heavy into drugs. She was just in the hospital and stayed for approximately 3 days in intensive care from an overdose that I wasn’t told about until she was out of the hospital. The very next day she was out begging for drugs again. Rehab doesn’t work. In the event that she is killed in the process of obtaining drugs or dies of an overdose, am I going to be required to pay for her burial? If not, is the state going to take care of her? Who is required to claim the body?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since your daughter that has drug issues is an adult living on her own, if she dies you have no legal duty under the laws of all states in this country to pay for her burial. If no one takes care of her after she passes the county where she passes most likely will via cremation.

No one is required to claim the body of your adult child when she passes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.