If I’m disabled, will I get full custody of my kids?

Asked on August 30, 2015 under Family Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I don't know if you will, but you can. Disabled parents are not legally prohibited from being awarded custody of their children. This is true provided a their disability would not put the health, safety and/or general welfare of their children in jeporady. You give no specifics of your situation such as the nature of your disability, your prognosis, how many children you have, their ages, etc. At this point, you should consult with an attorney in your area who specializes in custody cases. They can best advise you further after hearing all of the details of your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.