Is it legal if my employer does not pay for training hours?

I am refusing to do the training unless I get paid for the hours. Now they are threatening to withhold my check. Is this legal?

Asked on September 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal. Employer provided or mandated training as opposed to professional development or education which you voluntarily choose to take, to improve your career prospects is work, and employers must pay hourly employees for all work they do. If you are an exempt salaried employee and are already working, they do not need to pay you above and beyond your normal weekly paycheck for training. If you are hourly and have to go to training, your employer must pay you. They also may not withhold your check. If they fail to pay you for hours worked including training or withhold your check, you could file a wage-and-hour complaint with the department of labor and/or speak with an employment law attoreny about a possible lawsuit or simply bring your own suit, as your own attorney or "pro se," in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.