If I’m currently on H1b and want to change my name, what is the process and how it will effect me during my extension filing, H1 stamping and green card processing?

Asked on October 31, 2014 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

On what basis would you be changing your name?  Did you get married and are taking your husband's name?  If so, you do not need to change your name on the H-1B visa petition.  Just the next time you apply for an extension or a transfer, include your marriage certificate copy by way of explanation of the new name.  Also, be sure to change your name on all other relevant documents, such as passport, etc., as need be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.