I am currently enrolled at a technical institute, can I sue the school because they are charging double for the same class I took twice?

The class I took was structured cabling. I took the class over not knowing i was being charged for it. They changed the name and still charged me. I want to sue for fraud. I passed the class with an A. I took a break and they told me to take the class again because they modified there course. So I took it and it was the same exact class that I had already taken. The final and everything in the class was the exact same. They are charging me for it and I dont think its fair that I had to pay twice for the same class just different name and a 1/2 credit more than the original.

Asked on July 30, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you very well could have a small claims action against your school for deception because you were required to pay for two courses which were essentially the same course where your damages would be the costs of the second course.

Before you go to small claims court, I suggest that you consult with the head of the school about your concerns and frustrations where the school may offer you a cost credit for units in the future with respect to your education.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.