What to do if I am currently collecting unemployment since I was laid off 5 months ago and now my mployer fhas orged my signature to stop it?

I was laid off and just started receiving my unemployment last month. I just learned that my employer is going to have his accountant forge my signature on an Independent contractor agreement so that they can get the money back. I already sent a letter to the accountant letting him know I was aware of the plot and that I would go to the authorities if I had to. Also, my former employer signed the company over to his wife so that he can get disability payments but he is still running the company. Is that illegal?

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Let's concentrate on the issue of you and the unemployment.  You have already notified him and the accountant that you are aware that something is up.  If they do in fact go forward with the plot then you have to wait and fight it.  You may need to speak with an employment attorney and get some one who knows how to deal with these issues.  You may have to get an expert as to the agremeent and your signature.  If you prove forgery discuss turning the accountant and the employer over to the DA as to criminal charges.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.