If I’m being transferred to our US company via an L1 intercompany transfer, how can I have my fiance join me?

I have a fiance who I would like to have come over with me but we are only due to get married next year or so. Can I apply for my L1 visa and put him as a dependant as a fiance or do we have to be married? And, if so, do we have to be married before I submit the application or can I submit the application with him on it (as long as we are married before we go over to the US)?

Asked on November 2, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You cannot have your fiance as your dependent for L- visa purposes unless and until you are legally married.  Until such time, there is no qualifying family relationship to get him a dependent L-2 visa status, unfortunately.  If you can get married, he can get the L-2 dependent visa with you or at  a subsequent time by presenting proof of your L-1 status and your marriage certificate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.