I am being sued for assessment of damages for rent owed but I closed my business in 4/10 and left, and new tenant arrived 10/10. now they are suing me

They are seeking an assessment of damages for $280,000. Not sure where they even got that amount but a new tenant already took over my lease. I tried to sell twice prior to closing my business but the landlord never acknowledged me. I have no assets and since my business was forced to close I have nothing. Now they are trying to seek so much and its two years later and they pop up and want $280,000. I do not know what to do, my hearing is at the end of March but this is so unjust. They also said that they served me with papers but i never received them.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are being sued for $280,000 I recommend that you immediately consult with a landlord tenant attorney that practices in the area of commercial leasing to represent your interests in this matter. You need to timely file an answer to the complaint supposedly served upon you. If you fail to do so, there is a very good chance that you will lose the lawsuit by "default" and have a judgment entered against you.

If a judgment is entered against you, your bank accounts and wages can be levied upon by the judgment creditor to partially satisfy any amount deemed owed againbst you on the lease.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.