If I am being sued for byan insurerafter being in an accident and not having PIP coverage, should I sue my insurance company to cover the claim?

I had an accident last year while making a left onto Sunset strip. A vehicle heading heading east bound collided with my vehicle. I am being sued by the insurance company for the other driver in the amount of $13,800 (medical feel plus damages). My insurance compay at that time notified me that since I did not have PIP they will not cover the claims filed by the other insurer. By law I am required to have PIP? Should I sue my then insurance company for not providing me with PIP and to pay the claim made against me? What should I do?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Accident Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since you have been sued arising out of an auto accident, the best thing that you should do is consult with an attorney who is experienced in insurance coverage matters. Hopefully he or she will be able to give you guidance about the situation and determine whether or not your insurance carrier owes you a defense and indemnity about the current lawsuit.

Most importantly, was your insurance carrier required to make sure that you had "PIP" coverage for yourself and the vehicle you were driving? Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.