If I am being sued by a debt collector, what do I do?

I received a summons this morning advising that I am being sued by a debt collection firm who says they represent a credit card issuer. The amount of the suit is $10,416 which I do not have to pay. I need to know what my options are and the cost.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since you have just been sued by a debt collection firm for a credit card debt that you supposedly owe, you need to decide whether or not you owe the debt or not. If you owe the debt, the best thing to do is try and work out a monthly payment agreement with the creditor in an amount that you can afford (assuming you can).

If you do not believe you are obligated on the debt, then you can contest the claim by filing an answer with affirmative defenses. Before you do so, I suggest that you consult with a debt collection attorney concerning your situation. Most attorneys charge $250 per hour for their services. Filing fee for the answer will be around $300.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.