If I am being punished for things without warning by my manager that were approved by my supervisor, what can I do legally?

I had changed my schedule from 6:00 am to 8:00 am plenty of times before when I had to take my kids to school but was suspended for being 2 hours late. I notified my supervisor as always prior to my shift but my manager still suspended me for 3 days. Then I was out for an injury 4 days, told to bring a work release to return, but when it was presented to management I was told I needed a statement that said I had to miss work because I did not have the “right” to choose not to come to work when I have a broken bone but no paperwork is required when we call in sick. There are more incidents as well.

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation that you are dealing with it appears that your employer is trying to force you to quit your job. As such, I suggest that you consult with a labor attorney to discuss what legal recourse that you may have as well as to possibly have a letter written on your behalf to your employer.

You may also want to have a meeting with a representative of your nearest department of labor as to the issues you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.