What to do if I am being faced with charges of stealing a gun from my grandparent’s home?

The local police have already called me in once during their investigation. Now they are asking me to come in again.

Asked on March 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under no circumstances should you meet with the police without an attorney present. The fact is that you should not have spoken to them at all without a lawyer. This is true even if they come to your home and try to talk to you. Meeting with tem withut counsel wil not be in your best interests. They will try to either befriend you or intimidate you, all in an effort to get you to incriminate yourself. At this point you should consult directly with an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.