What to do if I’m being billed by a college that I did not attend after I canceled my application?

I applied to Arizona State University and did not receive enough financial aid to attend. I called and asked how to cancel my application and housing and they told me they cancelled both for me. Now 1 year later they called me to tellme that I owed them $650 for not cancelling my housing when I was told it was cancelled. I asked to file an appeal and they said they would mail me one. This was 8 months ago and I never received the appeal form and now they have turned the bill into a collection agency and reported it to the credit bureau. I have been told by family friends and teachers to just not pay.

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.