I am being accused of fraud. Should I wait to be charged

I do a fundraiser for a child abuse non-profit. Up to and including last year the proceeds went to the local sheriff’s dept. child abuse div. This years informational letter states “Past proceeds went to help ‘input law enforcment agency here” and this year we hope to spread our support beyond that” Thats open to interpretation sure, but it was intended to show our past support and our future intentions. We did not include the Sheriff’s agency in our discussions. The sheriff’s are now saying we have committed fraud, giving the impression they will be the ones supported as always.

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Business Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I don't think you should wait to be charged before talking to an attorney about this.  Having the sheriff's office accuse you of fraud is a very unhealthy situation, and I think you need professional help in de-fusing this problem before it explodes in your face.

Your letter was vague, indefinite, and it was not just "open to interpretation," it had a real ability to mislead people.  I think you need to fix this, quickly, and one place to find counsel to help you do that is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.