What to do if I am behind on my rent and my landlord has locked me out?

They however re-opened my unit to me but now they are trying to set my stuff out as we speak. I have not received anything from the court for evicting me. I am at work right. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country your landlord cannot use self help to evict you. Rather the proper legal process needs to be gone through such as a three day notice to pay or quit or a thirty day notice of the termination of your lease. What the landlord is doing is illegal. I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney to assist you in your matter so as to protect your interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.