What to do if I’m an Iraqi who acquired Canadian citizenship but then got married to a US citizen, came to live here and now want US citizenship?

I have been residing here for the last 5 years. Can I be a US citizen with 2 other nationalities of should I drop one? If so can I renounce my birth nationality instead of the Canadian?

Asked on October 21, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Before you are eligible for US citizenship, you have to be a green card holder for at least 3 years, if married to a US citizen.  So, your first step would be for your US citizen spouse to petition for your green card, if you have not already started that process.  As far as citizenship is concerned, you are permitted to have multiple citizenships if the other countries of which you are a citizen allow it.  The US does not care; it only considers you as a US citizen.  Canada does not mind either; As for Iraq, you will need to find out from that government.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.