What to do if I’m an incorporated pet shop and my city is telling me that I am not allowed to have a pot bellied pig on my property?

Since I am incorporated as a pet shop shouldn’t I be allowed to?

Asked on September 12, 2014 under Business Law, Ohio


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Just because you are an "incorporated" pet shop does not mean the city has to allow you to offer for sale every conceivable animal that anyone could possibly have as a pet.  Cities have rights to adopt ordinances limiting the types of animals that may be offered for sale in a retail commercial zone, as opposed to on a farm or other agricultural zone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.