If I’m an immigrant with greencard and am going to get married with a person who has tourist visa, how soon he will recive a greencard or work authorization/SSC?

Asked on September 6, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A lot has to do with what country your future spouse was born in as that is what determines how long they have to wait for a visa number to become available.  In general, for most countries, it is currently about 1.5 years for the visa to become available, which is the earliest that an application for adjustment of status could be filed and, with it, application for employment authorization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.