I am an American citizen

I was born in Australia. My father registered my birth in America as he is American.
I had two American passports. One as a child and one as a teen.
I have lived in Australia most of my life except three years as a teen in America.
I am here on an esta but getting my American passport now. Can I stay? I wish to
marry my fianc and stay in USA.

Asked on December 17, 2018 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

if you get your US passport, then of course you c an stay.  if you do not get a passport or cannot for some reason, you can still stay if you marry your fiance and then have your fiance p etition you for a spouse visa on the basis of valid marriage, assuming your fiance is a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.