If I am an American citizen and my children were born outside of the country but have a green card and live with me, how do I apply for their passports?

What documents do I need?

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

How would they have a green card and still be eligible for passports?  If you are a US citizen and your children were born outside the US when you were already a US citizen, your children would most likely be considered to be US citizens assuming you registered their birth in a timely manner with the US Embassy in that country and they would qualify for US passports.  But in that case they would not have any green cards as that would be not possible.  On the other hand, if they have green cards through some other means (if they were born before you became a US citizen, etc) then you cannot just get them passports without first establishing that they qualify for US citizenship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.