If I’m about to get an investment payoff, what is the best way to give my sister and her husband some money?

After taxes are paid I want to give my sister and husband some money. I am told that I cannot gift it to them because it’s a 6 figure income. Would it be better to set up a Trust and pay them monthly out of it?

Asked on July 12, 2015 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are a generous person and your sister is lucky to have you.  You should speak with an estate planner as to what is the best avenue for you to proceed.  A Trust would definitely be one way of disburing income to them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.