What to do if I am about to distribute the proceeds to the heirs but one heir is disputing thee amount of their share?

One greedy heir claims it all belongs to him, although the Will and Trust clearly list the heirs. What should I write in a letter to make him sign, that he is accepting his share without dispute. The Will says that any challengers are disinherited.

Asked on June 28, 2014 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you have an order for distribution from the probate court of assets of the estate to the heris, I would send a letter to each heir with a copy of the order for distribution issued by the court referencing the order and the amount being sent and move on and get an order from the court deeming the estate closed serving it on all interested parties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.