What to do if I’m about to be wrongfully terminated from my place of employment?

I am anticipating that this termination will come as a result of slander from one of my colleagues, and in violation of the by-laws of my employer. There has also been dishonesty and mismanagement of my salary and benefits. So I am wondering, what are my options in regard to this matter?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you get terminated then you immediately make an application for unemployment benefits. After that, consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative of your local department of labor to see what legal recourse if any you may have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.