If I was ccharged with disorderly conduct for an argument I had with my father, don’t the police have to be called for charges to be filed?

My father was upset about an argument I had with him and called the police the day following the incident accusing my mother of assaulting him. Later when I was contacted by the detective I told him that my mother had not touched my father in any way and said that I had been the one arguing with him for the most part. Eventually both my mother and I were charged with disorderly conduct, but the prosecutor has dismissed my mom’s charges but refuses to drop mine. How can I be charged with DC if the police were never called to the scene?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Maybe because in trying to clear your Mother you admitted what could constitute the charge?  I would ask for an attorney to be appointed on your behalf and have the attorney discuss the matter with the Prosecutor's Office.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.