I am a US citizen and recently married a British citizen, who is currently in the US, and I’m filing an I-130, do I have to include the evidence of bona fide marriage when I first submit the form?

Evidence such as joint bank account, photos, records of trips taken etc. or do I want and bring these to the interview?

Asked on September 23, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your spouse intends to remain in the US and process within the US, you'd need to also have him/her file the application to adjust status I-485 along with the I-130.  The evidence of the bona fide marriage does not get submitted at the time of filing.  You need to start gathering all that documentation andyou will need to present it at the time of the interview with USCIS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.