If I’m a US citizen and my girlfriend is Canadian and we met at school here, now that she’s moved home could she come back on a student visa for grad school, get married and then apply for a green card?

We’ve been dating for 5 years and I’m looking to get her to the US but I currently don’t have a job since I left to visit her in Canada for 3 months. Do I need a job to apply for the K-1 visa and do we need to be engaged to apply for K-1 visa? We are currently dating and not engaged. Would it be better or faster for her to come visit and get married and return to Canada and then apply for a green card?

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If she will be in the US you do not need to get a K-1 visa beforehand.  As a Canadian, she can come to the US for further study, you can then get married and petition for her green card, all within the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.