If I’m a US citizen and my boyfriend from India would like to visit the US, if he applies for a missionary visa must we disclose our relationship?

He has been invited by several churches to speak here so he could apply for a B-1 missionary visa. We have no plans to marry during this trip and he would only be here 1 month. I will be his sponsor and cover all financial responsibilities. I don’t want to get in trouble for “dual intent”. He lives with/works for his parents so proof of return won’t be easy without employment/property ownership documents. Is it even worth trying to apply?

Asked on July 14, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He does not need to disclose the relationship in getting the visa and coming to the US on the B-1; however, you should not plan to marry within 1 month of his arrival because that will be seen as misrepresentation of intent at the time of entry.  The safe harbor period would be about 90 days after arrival, as that allows for change of intent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.