If I am a trustee of my father’s estate, am I entitled to disclosure of his accounts from banks and stock companies?

Asked on January 10, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Is your father still living?  I ask because a Trustee is usually the person who administers a trust.  The assets in the trust can be called the "trust estate," so it is possilbe that your father is alive and you are the person in charge of his trust.  If you are this person, you are entitled to disclosure of everything in the trust, but not necessarily everything he owns.

On the other hand, an "estate" is often the assets of a person who has passed away.  In that case, the person in charge of those assets is called a personal representative, executor, or administrator of the estate.  If you are this person, then you are entitled to disclosure of everything he owned.

It sounds like you are trying to get banks and stock companies to send you information.  Try sending them the document that appointed you as "trustee" (or representative).  If this is a trust, you can send a Trust Certificate or the full Trust Agreement.  If this is a probate estate, you can send your Letters of Administration.  If that does not work, you will have to consult a lawyer to sort this out.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.