What to do if I’m a tenant and the property that I am renting is in foreclosure?

I just renewed the lease 2 months ago. The property is managed through a property management company. We went to court due to the fact that I withheld rent for remedy of the foreclosure. The landlord/property management would not respond with the intentions of the property. The juded made his final order (to pay rents due and contract would now be month-to-month). We paid as ordered. The property filed a judgement for eviction for not paying the court order 10 days ago. That same day the bank for the mortgage on the property filed final judgement on the foreclosure. Until this day the property manangement has not dismissed the judgement of eviction. Is this wrongful a eviction?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Since the property that was owned by your former landlord has been lost in foreclosure the eviction order is now null and void. Since you are on a month to month lease now per the court order, make lease payments to the new owner. Under 2010 federal law, your landlord on the foreclosed property must give you 90 days written notice of he or she wants to end your monthly lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.