If I’m a subcontractor and the contractor did not pay me properly, what can I do to resolve this issue?

Asked on December 9, 2013 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the contractor: you did the work pursuant to an agreement (whether written or oral/verbal), which means that if you in fact did the work as agreed, the contractor is contractually obligated to pay you. If he does not pay you the full amount, you can sue him for breach of contract, including in small claims court (where you could act as your own attorney).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.