What constititutes housing discrimination?

I am a student a university. I am in the process of finding someone to assign the rest of my lease to (with the permission of the managers). I found several international students that were interested in taking the apartment but the management says that they have to have a guarantor in the U.S. or pay 3 month’s rent (which they cannot do because they are international students). This is not expressed in my lease (which only states that I need management’s permission and I do). Is this a form of housing discrimination, as it excludes students whose national origin is not American?

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a landlord cannot discriminate against a potential tenant based upon ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, religion and the like. From what you have written, the penalty for being an international student violates state law on discrimination as to a tenant. Not good for the landlord. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of landlord tenant law or further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.