If I am a state employee who was not compensated correctly upon being hired 4 years ago, do I have rights now?

I have documentation written by my former supervisor stating I qualified for one salary, but was paid approximately $10,000 below. I qualified for just as much as coworkers in a higher salary grade. In order not to create internal concerns, he made the offer and I accepted (not understanding how salary administration worked in state government). I work in HR and know classification, salary administration and equity, it has come to my attention that there is an inequity that the agency has not addressed. Can I fight them to the top to get the salary I qualify for? I’m not even asking for back pay.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The concern that I see concerning your salary grade is that if you were offered a certain salary and agreed to it where you received this salary, there does not seem to be a basis for you four (4) years after the fact to now complain about it for the very first time.

However, in an abundance of caution, you should bring the issue up to your immediate supervisor since you work in the human relations department and get your concerns clarified. Nothing ventured is nothing gained.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.