What to do if my former employer will not pay me what I am owed?

I am a secretary who worked for my ex-boss for about a month and a half. at the time we were sharing offices with another company. She believes that I was helping the other company with work instead of doing her work. Now she refuses to pay me all of what she owes me. She just wants to pay half. I have eye witnesses that have seen me work all day for her. She was always late in giving me a pay check. And has only given me one check before I quit in the one in a half month that I have worked for her. What should I do to make her pay the total amount that she owes me .

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You might want to start by filing a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission-- they usually handle unemployment claims, but they can also help with wage claims.  They are charged with enforcing the Texas Payday laws.... which require an employer to pay you what you are due when it is due.  This process is free.  If you don't like going through an adminstrative agency, then you can file your own suit.

eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

you can sue her in small claims court for the whole amount.  there is also a law that may give you treble damages and atty fees.  at trial you will need your witness to show the bosses defense is wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.