if I’m a US citizen and I want to get married to a Chinese citizen that lives here on a student visa, what documents are needed?

My fiance is a Chinese citizen that has been attending school with me here but is currently on a student visa. We have attempted to search for what the required documents she will have to get from China to marry here in the U.S. are but can only find information on what I would need if we got married in China.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Immigration Law, Arizona


Chris Miao / The Law Office of Lee & Miao, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You will not need anything for the marriage except her Passport.  Register the marriage at City Hall.  If you plan on filing for a conditional green card for your fiance after you are married, you should do it prior to the expiration of her F1 visa.

Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you plan to file for her Conditional Residency in the US, she will not need much from China. Her Passport and birth certificate (household registry) and perhaps her immunization/vaccination records. These are not absolute, but helpful. We can help process this with you as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.