If I’m a Portuguese citizen and have a B1/B2 visa, can I start up a small business in America?

What can be done?

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Immigration Law, North Dakota


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot just start a business in the US in B1/B2 status.  You need to have an appropriate visa status in order to be able to have a business in the US.  If you have a business back in Portugal, you may be eligible to change status to L-1 in the US. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.