If I’m a one quarter beneficiary of my father’s Trust. however I have not been given final disbursement from the sale of his assets by the trustees?

What is my legal recourse in this matter?

Asked on November 12, 2014 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Has the Trust been settled and finalized by the Trustee?  Selling the assets does not necessarily mean that the duties of the Trustee are completed and distribution is imminent.  Quite the contrary.  The Trustee still may have to complete other tasks.  Trustees are required to file accountings every year.  I would seek out legal  help to take a look at the status of things.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.