If I’m a nationalized US citizen (from asylee to citizen), can my husband who is a green card holder apply for citizenship earlier than the required 5 years?

He is a green card holder through asylum, although is asylum is not related to mine (I met him later). Can apply for citizenship earlier than the required 5 years. He still have 3 years to apply for citizenship, but since I am now a citizen can he adjust his status earlier?

Asked on November 16, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He can apply for citizenship earlier if he has been married to a US citizen for 3 years.  If you just became a citizen, it would have to be 3 years from the grant of your citizenship status which would be the same time he would be eligible to apply for citizenship in his own right, after being a permanent resident for 5 years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.