If I am a minority a 49% owner in a corporation,.can I surrender my shares and officially walk away?

My partner 51% has decided to shut down the business and will not entertain me taking over. I disagree with almost everything he has done. The company in worth nothing and may have some debt.

Asked on July 2, 2014 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You will remain an owner of the company until and unless someone buys the share from you; you give the shares to another person who accepts them (you can't make someone accept them); or the corporation is dissolved. You need to do one of these things to disentangle yourself from the corporation and from your partner's acts. If nobody will buy, etc. the shares from you and the 51% partner does not want to dissolve the company, you can, as a minority shareholder, bring a legal action to compel dissolution; you are advised to have an attorney help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.