What to do if I’m a minor an intoxicated friend asked me to drive her car for her but I had an accident?

As we are making our way home, I came to a 4-way signal light and the car on the right side proceeded to try and run the red light . Instead of going, they came to a complete stop in the middle of the intersection as it was my light to go. I had no time to stop; I slammed on my breaks and hit their bumper. At this point I was franti, and my friend told me to leave the scene and go home. She didn’t have insurance or a license but was an adult. Now, over a year later, she is caught and is trying to lay everything on me since I was the driver. What should I do in court and will I be held responsible? Also what charges might I face?

Asked on October 23, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I know that this is not what you want to hear but it is really important that you tell your parents and have them speak with a lawyer on your behalf.  Driving with out a license does not necessarily mean you were negligent and responsible for the accident. Lawyers say it is not an "indicia" of negligence.  It is, however, a violation in and of itself. You were trying to be responsible and the adult in the situation was directing your actions.  While you should not have left the scene of the accident (that could also be a problem) you were trying to be responsible.  Please seek help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.