If I’m a Mexican in the US who had an accident and both cars were uninsured, what can happen to me?

I did not exchange information with the other driver but one of my family members did telephone numbers and ID.

Asked on November 6, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

For the most part, all the same things that can happen to anyone will potentially happen to you. 

If law enforcement learns that neither of you had proper insurance, then you could each be ticketed for failure to maintain proper insurance.  If you fail to get proper insurance, then your driver's license could also be revoked.  Basically, payment of a fine is what you are looking at if you are cited.

If the cause of the accident was your fault, then the other driver could also sue you in court for the damages to his/her vehicle.  This means you could be required to pay money to the other driver.

So... basically, all the same things that would or could happen to someone who is legally in the U.S.  You don't mention how you are in the U.S.-- if you are in the mists of any procedures related to immigation status, let your immigation attorney know as soon as possible so that they can manage your paperwork properly.  Usually, VISA's are not denied because of a traffic ticket, but you don't want any issues to suprise your attorney as they are working on your case.

If you are in the U.S. illegally, then you could face deportation-- but not because of the accident, but for the simple reason that you are not in the U.S. legally. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.