If I’m a medical professional who has been requested to appear in court as an expert witness, can I be compensated for my lost income?

By appearing in court, it forces my dental practice to close and unable to generate income. I want to get compensated for this income loss. Who can I seek to write up an “expert witness” contract to make the attorney pay for my business income loss? It would be to compensate for my office income, travel time, time to review documents regarding the case, photocopying documents, parking fee, etc.

Asked on November 4, 2014 under Business Law, Virginia


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Expert witnesses are almost always paid for their time to appear, usually quite well.  I am assuming that you are plaintiff's treating physician and are being asked to provide expert testimony based on your treatment of the plaintiff and knowledge of his/her medical condition.  You should speak to the attorney who is requesting that you appear about being compensated for your time.  If you are subpoenaed to appear without an arrangement to be paid, you may attempt to quash the subpoena on that basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.