How do I clear my name if a guy is going around telling people I attempted to rape him when I did not?

I’m gay. About 1 year ago I had 2 dates with a guy. There was sex on the first date but not the 2nd date. Now 1 year later I hear he is telling people I attempted to rape him. How can I stop him from telling people this and clear my name?

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


Steven Rinehart / Western IP Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the guy for defamation/slander.  You may also be able to sue him for intentional inteference with economic relations if he is interfering with business contacts (e.g. if he is telling to people you are doing business with or might do business with).  You could start off by having an attorney send him a cease-and-desisit letter.  If that doesn't work, you may have to file a civil action and seek a court order shutting him up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.