If I’m a 64 year old man in a domestic partnership with a 65 year old woman and we get married, does that automatically end the DP or do we still have to go to court to get that dissolved?

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

My research suggests that you can enter into a valid marriage without having to formally terminate your domestic partnership. To be certain of your rights, you can directly contact an attorney who handles family law matters. For a quick phone call, you may be able to get an anwser.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.