What can I do if I am a J1 student from Singapore and wish to extend my stay in the UJ beyond the 30 grace period provided to J1 students?

I am eligable under the visa waiver program. My visa expires in about 12 days and I wishes to stay for another month. I am hoping to enter Mexico and then back into the US as such changing my visa to a tourist visa. Is this idea feasible?

Asked on August 15, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

if you are no longer in valid J-1 status because your program has ended, you probably cannot just go to Mexico and return on the visa waiver unless you can show a good reason for needing to be in the US and still it is discretionary on the part of the immigration officer at the port of entry.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.