What to do if I’m a housekeeper with an expired working visa and social security card and now my new employer wants me to start paying taxes?

For years I got paid cash or written personal checks, so I’ve never gotten into trouble for that; none of my employers checked my eligibility to work. This new employer wants to pay my taxes and get me pay my taxes, so she asked for my SSN or tax ID number. I ended up giving my SSN even though I knew it wasn’t the right thing to do. She said her company will do the payrolls, etc. What is going to happen at this point? Should I quit before I start? and now my new employer wants to start I’m also married to US citizen and about to apply for green card. Would that cause me to get denied or penalized?

Asked on November 2, 2014 under Immigration Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Take a deep breath.  What you really need to do is to go and see a very good and reputable Immigration attorney as soon as you can. There is a difference between your visa expiration date and the length of time you are permitted to stay in the United States. There should be an "admitted until" date or stamp or notation on your admission stamp.  If that is expired you are "out of status" and then that could be an issue for you.  Speak with the attorney asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.