What to do if I’m a general contractor and recently completed a remodel kitchen job but one of my subs overcharged the homeowner?

I was given an approximate cost for one of our subcontractors line of work which was electrical. On the final bill he overcharged the homeowner by 65%. . Is this a cost I absorb or can the contractor file a lien on the home?

Asked on August 28, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is speak with the subcontractor about his bill.  In many states subcontractors can indeed file a mechanic's lien for unpaid work but if I were the home owner I would then go after you as the contractor.  If you were the GC and gave an agreed upon price for all of the work and hired the subcontractor then I think that you are the one ultimately responsible. I think that you should be the one to speak with him and figure it out and now you know never to use him again. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.